Thursday, October 8, 2009

Gems

A couple of conversations with Lily that I want to remember:

  • On the way home from school, Lily was bending her plastic headband back and forth. I told her to be careful so she wouldn't break it. (This had already been the fate of one of her headbands!) She said back to me, "Oh, is it fragile?" A little impressed that she used that word correctly, I asked her if she really knew what "fragile" meant. After a little thought, she said, "It means only moms and dads can touch it."


  • Apparently God gave little girls a dad to help her learn patience. True to what I experienced as a child with my dad, Mike seems to enjoy antagonizing Lily at times. I don't even remember what he was doing, but her frustration level was rising. At her breaking point she shouted, "Daddy, you're poopy!" She was headed to her bedroom for a timeout before we even had to tell her to go. As we snickered silently, Mike commented, "Isn't it great? That is the worst thing she can think of to say to me." Ah, time will pass too quickly. . .


  • When my parents arrived for visit a few weekends ago, my dad asked Lily, "Where's your pa?" She looked at him quizzically and said, "I don't have any. Only Ollie does." :-)

  • When Mike returned from his recent duck-hunting trip, Lily was very interested in the ducks and goose he brought back. She wanted to feel the goose's feathers and beak, even tried to pick the heavy thing up by its neck. "Mom, you try it," she said. After a polite refusal she used a very motherly voice, "Dad can help you try." I kindly refused again. "He's a nice goose, Mom. He doesn't move or anything."

3 comments:

Stephanie Brandt said...

These are hilarious, Em! Thanks for sharing them.

Hope you guys are doing well and keeping warm!

Angela Flores said...

Maybe it was Mike that needed the time out! Tell him to go pick on someone his own size next time. :)

Emily said...

Lily has been asking for her own "real" baby lately. But today she told me, "Mom, if my real baby cries when he's in my hands, I'll just give him to you, okay?"