Sunday, May 16, 2010

How to say "no" in Spanish

Lily loves to try out phrases or words she has heard other places (even if she isn't quite sure of the meaning). Here are a few recent examples:

*While I was helping her get her socks on she nonchalantly said, "Mom, I think I am going to take up the violin."

*After I asked her, just once, to help me clean up her room, she replied, "I have told you several times, I don't want to clean up right now."

*When she noticed that I had moved the rocking chair from her room to the baby room, she ran into the bathroom and asked in an upbeat voice, "Where is that stinkin' chair?"

*Mike had been saying "Bof 'um" when referring to two things (both of them). When Lily started using the phrase I asked her what it meant. She confidently replied, "Bof 'um means "no" in Spanish."

No comments: